Building Permit Help in Toronto
When it comes to the planning of a renovation project one of the first questions you should ask yourself is “do I need a building permit?” In the City of Toronto, there are a number of projects that could require you to get approval from the city and secure a building permit before beginning any construction work. These include:
- Constructing a new building on your property like a shed
- Adding an addition to an existing building
- Making structural changes to your home ie. adding a window or door where there wasn’t already one
- Finishing a basement if it includes structural changes or excavating of any kind
- Adding energy improvements to your building ie. solar panels
- Adding a deck to your property more than 24” above ground
- Installing a wood burning fireplace
- And more.
You can see a complete list of building permit requirements on the City of Toronto’s website.
At Renovation Collective Toronto, your local contractor, we can help you navigate the sometimes complicated permit process, preparing necessary drawings and blueprints of floor plans, and site plans, as well as preparing notes of the pertinent construction details.
We are also able to fill out the building permit application, making sure that all the Ts get crossed and the Is dotted. Building permits can be an annoying part of the renovation process because of all the regulations, but the consequences of being fined for working without a permit can be an even bigger headache. Fines of up to $27,000 are possible, as well as having to stop work immediately and in some cases having to undo already completed construction work. Learn more about building permits penalties in Toronto on the City of Toronto’s website.
Contact Us For Your Free Quote
At Renovation Collective Toronto we pride ourselves on providing outstanding quality work in a timely and cost-efficient manner. Located in Toronto we are more than happy to come to your home to discuss your renovation project or answer any building permit questions you might have. Contact our office today to schedule your appointment.